It’s been a long time since I wrote anything here. If only there was a tool that helped people write coherent blog posts…
Well no one asked me, but here’s what I would do if I had to make something out of the NFL Pro Bowl. Keep in mind the following items:
- The game is atrocious
- The NFL needs it as a way to spiff their advertisers
- Players dig the Pro Bowl because they get bonuses for making the team
- The game now happens on that dead Sunday between the Championship games and Super Bowl.
So here’s my dumb idea.
High Level: Make the Pro Bowl a week long television extravaganza featuring all the TV shows on the network hosting the game. Send the producers of all that network’s shows (that make sense) over to Hawaii to film programs that feature Pro Bowl players. Heck, you can even create shows.
Let’s say that CBS was televising the Super Bowl. Without doing too much thinking you could have some sort of episode of:
- Amazing Race, where a bunch of sets of teammates are competing or players get teamed with a regular person.
- A Survivor spin off
- A live “taping” of one or two of their sitcoms
- Plus Pro Bowl specific hows such as a Jeopardy like game show with Linemen vs Quarterbacks. a “teammate” version of the Newlywed game, skills competitions, etc…
All of these shows could involve Joe Fan, and reach a cross over audience. But here’s the kicker: You get to charge new advertising dollars for NFL related shows. Super Bowl sponsors would have more ways to extend their Super Bowl buy into earlier in the week, and companies who can’t afford Super Bowl ads would have a way to invest marketing money into the game.
And really, I don’t really care what they do with the game. You could still play it, but instead of 3 straight hours of dreadful football, you’d have mini-bites of content from some of the shows that just aired, and some that are going to air that week.
This is a kernel of an idea, not a well thought out plan. Would love to get your thoughts.