Relax… this isn’t going to become a food blog. But ’tis the season for candy and jack-o-lanterns. And I took the guts and remains of my small little pumpkin the other day and turned them into something worth sharing.
So here’s the recipe for the best pumpkin seeds you’ll ever eat. They are so good that people who don’t like pumpkin seeds will like them.
- Wash pumpkin seeds
- Lay seeds on a slightly tilted cookie sheet to drain and dry them overnight for 24 hours.
- When you get grief from impatient people about the 24 hour drying process, ignore the impatient people and go to sleep.
After 24 hours:
- Melt a few tablespoons of butter in a bowl.
- Mix in salt (just a little to start).
- Mix in cayenne pepper (about the same amount as salt).
- Mix in white pepper (little less than the cayenne).
- Mix in black pepper (little less than the white pepper).
- Mix in brown sugar (your choice).
- Stir the seeds around the melted butter and spices, and give the mixture a taste. It should be sweet, then bring a little kick about 3-5 seconds later.
- Reseason to taste. More sugar and heat.
- Stick in the pre-heated oven at 300 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Take out the seeds and shake them around to wake them up.
- Put them back in for another 15 minutes.
- Take them out and put them in a bowl.
Trust me. These are the best seeds you’ll eat. And the best part is that you are able to take the healthiest part of this candy-gasmic holiday and turn it into a sugary butter bomb.