Marketing Dive released a nice summary about trends in Display vs Search Ad Spending.
The original report came from a survey commissioned by SumAll. The long form report and the associated visuals are worth reading, but Marketing Dive Distills it down to 5 points.
1. Display ads cost one-third less than search ads
2. Tablets offer the most bang for your buck
3. It still takes more tablet impressions for a click than desktop
4. Mobile devices take even more impressions than tablets to inspire clicks
5. Advertisers spend seven times as much on search ads as on display
If you are in the business of buying ads in social, search or display, the data behind the conclusions is worth taking some time to read through.